Photo courtesy Noor Pamiri
BY OUR CORRESPONDENT
GILGIT: A Pakistani hunter, Hisham Osama Khan, has become the first person to claim a 53-inch trophy of an ibex, setting a national record for the largest Ibex hunt in the country.
Khan, a resident of Lahore, killed the animal at Batura village in Passu valley of Gojal in Gilgit-Baltistan.
“This is the biggest hunt in the country as far as our record shows,” said Range forest officer [RFO] Shabbir Baig on Saturday, a day after the hunt.
“This is appreciable as it will encourage others to adopt conservation practices in G-B and else where,” Baig said.
Khan made another hunt at the same day in the same area which measured 445 inches. The hunt was conducted under the supervision of Baig who was representing government wildlife department besides community members engaged in conservation of wildlife in their respective valleys.
The Ibex, whose license fee is fixed $3,000 this season for international hunters, has reclaimed its population due to Trophy Hunting program initiated by G-B government in early 1990s in the region.
“For the two hunts, the hunter had paid Rs0.4 million,” said another official about the fee which is comparative lesser for Pakistani hunters. The official said the hunter would be allowed to take the trophy along if he wished so.
“It was a good attempt and luckily the trophy was healthy,” a community representative accompanying the Hunter said.
The hunt came two months after G-B government sold out hunting permits for four markhors, 60 ibexes and eight blue sheep to national and international hunters.
The 53 inch markhore was said to be the second biggest animal after Iranian king Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavihunted a 57 inches markhore in mid 1900s.
Under the Trophy hunting programme, 80% of the hunting fee goes to the local community while the government spends the remaining 20% on projects for the welfare of forests and biodiversity. The communities use their share on projects aimed at conserving natural resources.