BY OUR CORRESPONDENT
GILGIT: At least 12 men, who allegedly murdered two rangers and injured four of their colleagues in Gilgit a decade back, will be tried in military courts in Gilgit-Baltistan.
The case was referred to military court by anti-terrorism court [ATC] judge justice Raja Shehbaz during a hearing on Monday, an insider privy to the development said on Tuesday.
“The accused who were on bail and were present in the court during the hearing were then arrested by security officials,” he added.
The accused had been booked for attacking rangers in Gilgit on October 13, 2005. At least two rangers and 10 civilians had been killed in the shootout. Four rangers also were injured in the violence that occurred after a leading Shia clerics was gunned down by armed men earlier the same year.
The accused including Mamtaz Kawish, Shabbir Rizvi, Zahid Hussain, Safdar Ali, Mujahid Ali, Ali Haider, Jamil Hussain , Ali Rehmat, Ghulam Abbas and Bilal Hussain were on bail but the ATC cancelled their bail on Monday, allowing security officials to take them into custody.
The G-B government has already sent three cases to military courts, which were set up under national action plan against terrorism.
The attacks on passenger buses, killing of 10 foreigners at Nanga Parbat and their investigators have already been referred to Military courts.
Following the arrest, relatives of the accused protested by chanting slogans against the government.
The national accountability bureau [NAB] judge on Monday remanded three officials into police custody for embezzlement in public funds.
The three officials, including a secretary, in the excise and taxation department had been arrested a day earlier by police. They had been accused of making kickbacks worth millions of rupees.
The remand of the accused will last till 29 of this month, said an official.